Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Life Aboard a Ship: Part 1

I haven't blogged since October 30th, and now, twice in one week! Watch out.

People keep asking what we did all week, so I figured I'd just write it down and direct them here. I don't have that many words a day people. This is neither spiritual or thought provoking.

We landed in Miami around 6 pm after a few hours of easy travel. Our hotel was in a slightly shady area of town, but that's what happens when you book the cheapest option on Expedia. The inside was nice and the room was great, so that's what matters. Also, they had free shuttles to the airport and $10 rides to the ship. Done. We don't have a TV in our bedroom (on purpose), so hotels are extra fun for that reason. We ordered a pizza (which we hadn't eaten for over two weeks thanks to Rob's diet) and watched the mid-season premiere of The Walking Dead. The trip was already off to a nearly perfect start!

I should also add that Rob has to get in at least 10,000 steps a day during this 21-day challenge he is participating in. He woke up early Monday and walked the hotel and used the gym to get steps in while I slept and slept and slept. He checked in and dropped off breakfast in bed from the continental breakfast, but then I went back to sleep. Don't judge me. It was vacation. I dragged my tail out of bed around 11 simply because we had to catch the shuttle to the ship.

Once aboard, we walked all over the ship and tried to get our bearings. It wasn't until about Thursday that I was confident about which direction to go or whether to go up the stairs or down the stairs. To help Rob get to 10,000 steps a day, we didn't take the elevator all week. What kind of cruise was this??

I should also mention that a Christian organization ran this Carnival cruise, so all of the speakers, entertainment, and bands were Christians. As were all the people on the ship. There was so much smiling.

That night we heard Gary Chapman speak- the author of The Five Love Languages, which is a book we love. Even though I had heard the information before it was a really good session. (Rob is words of affirmation, but that is at the bottom of my list. We still aren't sure what my #1 is....maybe physical touch or acts of service.....but I really love gifts too.) There was also a worship band that led us each night and they were very talented. After dinner we went to hear a comedian, Bone Hampton, who was hilarious. We stopped by one of the concerts (Building 429) for a little bit, but we were too tired to stay.

Each night the organization left something on our door, and this specific night they left us a bottle of "Night Lotion" and massage oil. That made us giggle. They also left us a $100 ship credit to use on whatever we wanted on the ship- how amazing is that!

Tuesday was definitely my favorite day of the cruise and maybe my favorite day in years! We woke up on our own at 6:45 (I know, right?) and walked the track together to get in steps for Rob. It was so nice to do this together.

The track was on the top deck and wrapped around the putt putt.

After breakfast, we took a short nap. Score. Also on the cruise ship, were some of the actors/producers/directors of some recent Christian movies such as Fireproof and Courageous. They aired their newest film, "Mom's Night Out", and it was amazing! I laughed and cried. I can't wait to see it with friends when it comes out this Mother's Day weekend. After a quick lunch, we headed to the shop to buy me a new, big black hat to shade my face and neck. We had ship credit, so why not? As we were positioning our chairs to lay out together, the wind ripped my hat off my head into the sea. It. Was. So. Sad. I just watched as it bobbed away, and then I was sad I littered in the ocean. After some sun, we played on the water slides and went swimming in the pool. Rob spent the day with me which was awesome because laying out is not his thing. He headed to get more steps in while I manned the pool some more.

So much fun!

One of my favorite things to do. This was the scene of the crime where my hat was ripped from my head.


I was really overcome with thankfulness throughout this day. I had a really hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that this was our life. More on that later. I had an ice cream cone and headed back to shower and take another nap. I'm telling you, this day was glorious.

After another great evening of worship, Alex (the director/actor/producer of those movies) spoke on protecting your mind. Such a good reminder of how our spouse is not the enemy; satan is. We had dinner with a very nice and perky couple from Nebraska. She taught aerobics for fun, has birthed three kids, and adopted a fourth from China. She ordered a fruit plate and salmon. Then they declined dessert and left! Who does that?? I unashamedly ordered a bacon cheeseburger and dessert despite little bitty Christie sitting beside me. In my defense, I picked some of the bacon off *gasp* and didn't finish the burger. Dinner wasn't until 8:00 pm, so we were always ready to eat!

Rob's alligator appetizer!

We headed up to play the "UnNewlywed Game" but it was boring, so we left. Next up was a concert by Peter Furler, the former lead singer of Newsboys. It was such a good show. We stayed after everyone left and were able to meet Peter and chat with him & his wife for a bit. It was really fantastic!



We were in bed after midnight and we weren't sure how the week could get any better!

Apparently I have way more words than I thought. I will finish tomorrow.

What has been your favorite day, or what would it look like if you could plan it?