Monday, August 6, 2012

Manic Monday


man·ic adjective pertaining to or affected by mania
mania noun excessive excitement or enthusiasm


Much like robshep.com’s Mind Dumps, Manic Monday is just a snapshot of the random excitement that is inside my head.

  • I think some people would die if they tried to keep up with our schedule. I don't mean that pridefully at all; we are just crazy busy people. It works for us!
  • Last Tuesday we had a play date at our friend Angela's new house with her almost one year old, Landon! My kids loved playing with new toys and all three played well for the most part. I'm having a hard time teaching Hayden to not be selfish and how to share though. Landon is a doll and we are looking forward to more fun times!
  • On Tuesday evening, Courtney came over for dinner. We headed to the fire station to have them put in Reese's new car seat. It's always a little awkward to pull in the station and knock on a random door to ask for help. They are always great, but still bizarre. One of the firefighters noticed the robshep.com sticker on my car and said, "Have you been to Rob's new church?" To which I replied, "Yep. I'm his wife!" He said, "No way! I didn't know that!" Clearly he did not know which made me giggle because he so surprised. It was awkward enough for me to go to the station once to have them install the seat, but I realized he didn't finish the top part, so I had to go back about ten minutes later. I made Courtney knock that time. 
  • On Wednesday morning, I ran a few errands and did some grocery shopping with the twins. After their morning nap, we picked up Courtney and headed to Busch Gardens for a bit. We stuck to the Sesame Street section and the kids loved it. They got to give kisses and get pictures with Elmo, Big Bird, Ernie, and Bert. They rode their first real ride there and played in the splash park. They went wild when the show started and were smiling, dancing, and clapping along. Reese would scream like she was being hurt when a character got near her, but it was out of sheer excitement. It was funny.
  • Side note- Courtney is a great friend. 
  • On Wednesday evening we had our friends Oleg and Meara over for dinner which was a special treat!
  • Thursday was Shepherd day! Nicole, Brody, and Connor came over for the day to play and hang out. We are so so blessed and excited to stay home from work this year to be with our kids (and each other!). Another friend from our school made the choice this week to stay home with her daughter, so more friends to play with!!
  • Last Friday Rob hung out with the kids all day while I was at the beach, and he loved, loved his time with the kids. He wanted to do it again, so of course I had no other choice but to get out of the house. I went back to the beach with Courtney, Danielle, and Ruth. We had to leave early because of evening plans, but it was still wonderful.
  • Rob & I headed to a rehearsal dinner Friday evening for our sweet friend Nancy's daughter. They were so laid back and wonderful to be around.
  • Saturday was our 11th anniversary! Whoop whoop! Bob and Marcia graciously watched the kids for the day. Rob did a wedding at 1:00 and then we headed to the reception. We were dressed up, free dinner, and no kids. :) Bob and Marcia, aka Mamaw and Papaw, are two of Reese and Hayden's favorite people, and we are thankful for their example of marriage and how much they love our kids & how much our kids love them!
  • When the kids woke up from their afternoon naps, we headed to Virginia Beach, left the kids with my parents and spent the evening together celebrating our anniversary. I love time with Rob. After we ate we worked on our financial goals and family goals, plus discussed our new budget since we are about to be a one salary family.
  • Sunday was crazy- buckle up! I had breakfast with two of my favorite ladies in the world, Britt and Marie, from high school. Rob worked on his sermon at Starbucks & the kids hung out at my parents' house. Rob preached at Great Neck Baptist at their 10:55 service, went to pick up the kids from my parents, and sat in oodles of tunnel traffic.  Rob headed to work at 2pm, and then we joined him at church for the evening. 
  • We got stuck in bad traffic that was a result of a disabled vehicle in the tunnel. I tweeted that I would much rather be stuck in the traffic than be the car that caused it! How mortifying to break down in the tunnel, knowing you are causing a 7 mile back up! Aside from snakes, breaking down in the tunnel is one of my nightmares!
  • I teach the 1st-5th graders at Next Level during the main service and love it! This month we are focused on "Loving People" from our church's mission statement. Each week we're looking at a story from the Bible that shows how specific people and Jesus loved others & practical ways they can love others too. Our kids are awesome and the other adults on our team are amazing!
  • A friend shared this blog on Facebook last week in reference to the Chick-fil-a debacle. I found it very informative and it had some great statements here & there that I found to be very true. Read it here if you have time. This was one of my favorite sections:  
    • There are better causes than "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day" around which Christians can rally. (Feeding the hungry perhaps?) There is no need to cause unnecessary offense to folks who have already been so ostracized by the Church, no need to wave a red and white banner through yet another culture war.  If you really want to love your gay friends and neighbors, shoving Chick-fil-A bags in their faces right now is just not the way to do it.
  • Last week our church did have a banquet for the homeless. It was awesome. We hung out with them, fed them Carrabba's, and just tried to show them love.
  • One of my friends had a crazy thing happen on Friday. Her husband blogged about it here and you must read it. It's gross and not for the weak. Hahaha! You won't believe it.
What was your favorite part of this past week? Mine was spending as much time as possible with Rob in spite of a busy week!