Monday, June 18, 2012

Manic Monday


man·ic adjective pertaining to or affected by mania
mania noun excessive excitement or enthusiasm


Much like robshep.com’s Mind Dumps, Manic Monday is just a snapshot of the random excitement that is inside my head.

  • This is my first official Monday as a stay at home mom. I love it. It hasn't really started yet, but I love it!
  • I don't think it has actually set in yet because after teaching for 11 years, it just feels like summer. Come September it will feel legit!
  • I mentioned last week that it was super bittersweet. I LOVE teaching. I decided in second grade I wanted to become a teacher and never looked back or thought twice about it. I like that it gives me another identity outside of wife and mother. I love working with other teachers, getting to know my students, and trying to be creative!
  • This was a really bizarre year to leave teaching. As many of you know, my school's building was under-going construction which caused a delay in us getting in the building in September. Then some storms hit and caused water damage to the building which caused a further delay....you know- the type of delay that caused us to not teach in our building all year! 
  • 4th and 5th grade had the privilege to work in empty classrooms at Bethel Manor. They graciously shared space and resources with us which made for a nice transition; however, we were separated from our Dare staff/family as they were housed across the district.
  • This separation made leaving hard and easy. Easy because we weren't as close to everyone, so saying good-bye wouldn't be as hard. Difficult because I didn't get to spend my last year with people I love and respect so much!
  • Despite the craziness, our students were flexible and resilient. Nicole and I learned how little supplies we could be great teachers with because everything was mostly packed up! We lived out of boxes as each new unit approached. 
  • Job sharing was even more amazing than I expected. Our principals and parents confirmed with us that it went smoothly and flawlessly. Our students loved it and didn't bat an eye at having two Shepherds. I guess it is still slightly possible, but we didn't have one parent complaint all year, and no matter how good you are at teaching, that is a minor miracle!
  • So what's our plan for our first week of summer, you ask? Monday will be a lazy day with my kids. Nicole and Connor are coming over for our first summer playdate. This will be amazing because usually on Monday mornings I am dropping my kids off at her house and leaving for work. Not today! We get to play together!
  • Tuesday starts with my first training session with my personal trainer! Whoop whoop! On Wednesday I am meeting with Amber from Next Level to work on curriculum for this summer for our first through fifth graders at church. So excited to keep my hand in teaching this way! On Thursday I'm taking the kids to Virginia Beach for the day, and another training session Friday with Faith. I can't wait for some family adventures that Friday and Saturday!
  • I really need to run a handful of errands; it just takes a little longer with loading and unloading twins at each stop. I'll try to do a couple each day.
  • I am patiently waiting on three new babies to arrive! My nephew, Brody, is due this coming Friday, so any day now! My friend Alicia's son is due Saturday, so again, any day now! My friend Mollie's little girl was due this past week, so it really should be any day now! Our friends Lisa and Jason had their son last week, so we are planning to visit them with food this week too. Holy babies, Batman!
  • My prayer for summer is to be intentional with our time and find ways to be a blessing to other people throughout the week. (Another goal is to have a semblance of a tan by September!)
What are your plans for summer? Favorite summer activity? Mine is watching sunsets at the beach.