Monday, July 30, 2012

Manic Monday


man·ic adjective pertaining to or affected by mania
mania noun excessive excitement or enthusiasm


Much like robshep.com’s Mind Dumps, Manic Monday is just a snapshot of the random excitement that is inside my head.

  • We had our friends Jeff & Lauren over for dinner last Tuesday night. I taught with Lauren for several years at Dare, and we go to the same church, too. I saw a pin floating around Pinterest over and over last week, so I pinned it and gave it a try. I think trying a new recipe for guests is a risky, risky game!
  • You lay four chicken breasts in a 9x13 pan, drain two cans of green beans and put them down one side of the pan, and cut up new potatoes and put them down the other side. Take a pack of Italian seasonings dry Italian dressing and sprinkle it all over (I focused on the chicken & potatoes). Melt one stick of butter and drizzle all over. Cover with foil and back just over one hour. Here are the before and after pictures.


It was really good and super easy! It will definitely enter our monthly dinner rotation!

  • One of our favorite Pinterest finds is the recipe for Red Lobster's cheddar biscuits, so I made those to go along with dinner. I added a big salad and ta-da! For dessert I made a crushed pineapple/pretzel pie thing. Bake crushed pretzels & some butter for about 10 minutes, add a layer of cream cheese mixed with cool whip & sugar, and then drain two cans of crushed pineapple and pour over the top. It's a nice sweet/salty summer dessert.

Pre-cooked biscuits. After they bake, you brush on butter mixed with garlic powder and parsley- yum!

  • I love the original CSI. Spike plays reruns all day most weekdays, and that is my go to channel while I get things done as the kids nap. I can't get enough of it! That's my random fact of the day for you.
  • What are your thoughts on preschool? We plan for the twins to go a couple days a week when they are three and then whatever is normal for four year olds. We have heard such amazing things about several preschools in the area (specifically Yorkminster and Bethel Baptist). For us it was never a discussion about whether or not they would go; I think it's really valuable, especially after teaching Kindergarten. Totally respect the choice to not go though. What do you think?
  • Due to vacation, I haven't met with my trainer face to face in over two weeks. I am scared about tomorrow morning. If you don't hear from me after tomorrow, I will be passed out on our living room floor from exhaustion. Even though she gave me work-outs to do while we were apart, it's not the same as being with her. Sigh.
  • The Bachelorette ended last week. I shamelessly watch it, and I am fully aware of all the reasons I shouldn't. She picked Jef! Yes, it only has one f. I am happy with her choice and thought she did it with class. She knew before the last date with Arie that she wasn't going to pick him, so she met with him to tell him to save him the embarrassment of proposing to her. There's not much worse in previous seasons to watch the guy pour his heart out, propose, and then get told he's not it.
  • I have been packing my days full and love it! It's crazy how busy life gets. Last Monday, Nicole and I spent the day together with the kids at our house, and then I went to dinner with friends to celebrate our friend Angela's birthday. On Tuesday I did our big grocery trip and we had company over for dinner. 
  • On Wednesday Courtney watched the kids for me in the morning, so I could meet with Amber. Amber is Rob's fake staffer who is in charge of our kid ministry. We meet almost weekly to write curriculum for the kids and I love it! We are pretty much finished through September. I ran a couple of errands and headed home.
  • I've recently become obsessed with Downton Abbey, and Courtney and I finished season 2 on Wednesday! I love it! It makes me want to talk like I'm from England in the 1920s. I'm not very good at it, but it makes me want to use words like fancy and grandmama.
  • On Wednesday night, Mim (Rob's mom) cooked dinner for the Virginia Shepherds- all 10 of us. I did the salad & Nicole did two yummy desserts. Mim made a chicken spaghetti casserole that was tasty!
  • I started the day Thursday with a dermatologist appointment at 7:15- crazy early! It was the first time I had to set my alarm since school got out; I'm used to waking up to the twins talking to each other in their room. At 10, the kids and I met Alicia and her two boys at a consignment sale in Hampton. We love a good sale! We came back to my house for lunch and some hang out time. 
I recently bought this train off of a Facebook yard sale group, and the kids love it! Abram was giving Hayden rides around the house. It was really cute!

  • I spent the day at the beach Friday and it was simply marvelous. Shout out to Rob for hanging with the spoofers all day so I could hit the beach!
This was my view all day. Taste Unlimited is one of my all-time favorite places to eat!

  • Saturday was super spectacular! I mentioned on an earlier blog that my dear friend Shima was engaged, and we celebrated her engagement in Virginia beach on Saturday! Her parents sure can throw a party! My camera is broken, so I had to use Rob's phone, but here are some photo favorites:
Shima & Eddie dancing for us!

High school girlfriends! Britt, Megan, Shima, Hunter, and me!

Love these two & so happy for them!

  • Today is another crazy day followed by a crazy week. I wouldn't change a thing!
What do you have going on this week? Do you like to stay busy?