Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Wife Wednesday: Guest Post by Danielle Peters

I'd like to take a break from this regularly scheduled blog to wish my mother a happy birthday! She has to share her birthday with the country, but she gets fireworks every year! My mom, aka Dodi, is one of the funniest woman I know. She knows how to have a good time, how to laugh at herself, and she loves me and my kids unconditionally. My mom is full of honesty; you always know what she's thinking. She makes the best spaghetti sauce in the world despite her insecurity! So, happy 48th birthday to my mom! :)

Today's Wife Wednesday is written by my dear friend Danielle. You can learn about her here.


Let me give you just a little background about Dan and I.  Tomorrow will be our 10-year anniversary!  We do not have any children, but we have two dogs (which we find to be enough responsibility for us at this time).  In these past 10 years, I can count on one hand the times Dan has been worried about my safety leaving the house.  He does not worry about someone taking me or assaulting me, nor do I worry about those types of things.  I am fairly confident that any would-be attacker will lose a vital appendage to my teeth or death grip.  Dan understands this and lets me roam freely.

One summer night, not long after getting our dogs, I could not sleep.  The dogs kept scratching, which led me to believe they had fleas.  The thought of fleas, much like lice, creates the need to scratch. (Did you just scratch your head?)  I developed an insomniac’s paranoia and was certain the bed and carpet were infested with fleas.  I had to remedy this problem right then.  “Right then” happened to be 2:00 am.  I got up and went to Walmart on a mission to buy flea powder for both the dogs and carpet.  Dan was sound asleep when I left.

Meanwhile, Dan wakes up to Scout scratching at the bedroom door- the universal sign of, “let me out, or I will pee on the carpet.”  In his half-awake state, he doesn’t notice that I am not in the bed.   Dan follows Scout to the back door where he usually sits and waits patiently to be hooked up to the tie out.  Instead, Scout runs out the door to the front yard.  Dan chases him down and brings him into the house and Scout proceeds to check every room of the house.  This has Dan a little worked up; he turns on lights and checks everything out before returning to bed.  Upon returning to bed he finds it empty…. 

“Danielle, where are you?”

Dan checks the bathroom.  He knows the downstairs is empty, because he just searched it.  He attempts to check the guest room.  It’s locked.  “Danielle, are you in there?”

Dan begins to think.
Maybe she went in there to sleep.  Bang louder so she will wake up.  No response to the banging.  Let me check to see if the balcony door is locked.  Our bedroom and the guest room have access to the same balcony.  That door is locked as well.

Then Dan’s mind goes into rapid fire.
Maybe someone climbed up the balcony!  That’s why Scout ran to the front of the house; he must have heard it!  They came in our balcony door, took my sleeping wife, and they are holding her hostage in our guest room!  I’ll call the police.  No time for that, they could be assaulting her right now!   Plus, they could go out the other door while I stand waiting at this one!  I’ll break down the door and fight them!!!

To this day, the guest room door is broken because my husband busted it down to save me! 
Happy 10th Anniversary to my protector and defender!  I love you, Dan, more today than I did 10 years ago!

Do you have any great/funny stories about your spouse?