Friday, March 16, 2012

Friend Friday: Ode to Shima

Rob teases me because I have approximately 32 best friends. It's kind of true. I have been blessed beyond measure in the friend department. From middle school to present day, God has brought amazing people into my life. Every Friday I will focus on one of these people to share their awesomeness and thank them for liking me. Disclaimer: these friends are being highlighted in no particular order and have been chosen using the random name picker at this site. http://classtools.net/education-games-php/fruit_machine

Shima Razavi

I met Shima at Lynnhaven Middle School in Virginia Beach and we instantly became a smash hit. I'm not really sure what year because it's just always been Shima. We made our way through high school together, played together while away at different colleges, and continue to share life together today. She is my original best friend. Shima was my maid of honor, and she continues to buy her way into Rob's heart with gifts like this for the wedding:

Superman Cookie Jar

Gifts like this for the babies:

Shima lives in LA & supplies our children with Laker gear
Gifts like this in the mail:

Autographed picture of Ewan McGregor~ he even wrote all four of our names!

Shima and I have shared many a laughs together. Shima and I have always been the youngest in our class which meant we were the last to drive. One time we really wanted Taco Bell, so we hopped in one of our parent's cars, drove to Taco Bell, and headed home before anyone knew any better. No, we did not have licenses. It was awesome. Those were the days of riding our bikes to each other's houses down Great Neck Road and having lots of sleep overs. Even though we only see each other twice a year now, she still knows what I would order at Subway.

Shima went to JMU for our freshman year and then transferred to NYU to make her dreams become a reality in film school. I went to Longwood in Farmville to be a teacher. She lives in LA, is married to Eddie, mom to Nilu, and works in "the industry". I live in Hampton, have 2 kids, married a pastor, and I teach 4th grade part time. While that is about as different as you can get, it will always be Shima. She is my person. Shima is brilliant, talented, creative, gorgeous, and funny. She knows what she wants, and she doesn't just go for it, she gets it. She is independent and loves butterflies. You know those stupid friendship quotes like, "miles apart- haven't talked in years- don't miss a beat" Well, it's true of us. I can text her something beautifully random at any time, and that is fine. I can call her crying and it's fine. We work. Oh yeah, we saw Dumb & Dumber together in the theater at least 6 times. Big gulps, eh?

Favorite Memory

Mine: One night we were home from college circa sophomore year in December. Shima was tweezing or waxing my eyebrows, and she said something along the lines of, "I need to go to New York City and move some stuff." We got in the car about 15 minutes later, drove through the night, slept at a semi-shady truck stop/McDonalds for a bit, and galavanted around the city for the day. *Honorable mention- that time we were driving home from a Tom Petty concert and your dad nearly killed us.
Hers: Driving to Richmond to eat at the Waffle House for absolutely no reason.

Three songs that would be on our friendship soundtrack:

Mine: Free Fallin' (Tom Petty), December, 1963 (Oh What a Night), and Open Your Heart (Madonna)

Hers: Say My Name (Destiny's Child); I Have Nothing (Whitney Houston); Anything (The Bangles)

What makes us such good friends?

Mine: We aren't idiots. We know how to laugh at ourselves and with each other. You are kind and unassuming.

Hers: There aren't too many people in the world like you. I love you and Rob for your faith, non-judgment, and all around greatness.



This would be the notebook we passed back and forth maybe sophomore year? I didn't quote it because I would like Shima to still be my friend after this.
Photos of Us:
Heck yeah- middle school Halloween.

9th Grade




One of my favorites from college


2009