Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Twin Tuesday: Party Edition

Hayden & Reese’s 1st birthday is March 30th, and that is crazy to me! I’m working on their birthday party, which will be small-ish. I say small-ish because we want it to be small, but there are so many people that love them. Rob and I want to celebrate them because they are our answered prayers and bring us so much joy. Let’s face it though. It’s a party for us, not them. We are inviting immediate family, our closest friends, and people who have already made a difference in their lives. That’s like a million right there. I’m hoping not to offend people by not inviting them, but it’s probably inevitable. If you don’t get invited, but you’d still like to come, feel free to party crash. We honestly won't mind. We are also very aware of people's opinions about kid's birthday parties, so we didn't want to put pressure on too many people.

Since they don’t care at this point, we aren’t having a “kid” party with kids running around, and we are not giving out goody bags. We don’t even want presents because they have so much stuff already! I put no presents on the Facebook invite, but we'll see. I know people will feel unnecessary pressure to buy presents, so I’ve been trying to figure out how to word it. I need something like, “We don’t need any more crap. Please buy us Target size 3 and 4 diapers, Target unscented wipes, Puffs, Trader Joe’s breakfast bars, or Enfamil Infant formula. We could also use 24 month pajamas for Hayden and 18 month pajamas for Reese.” It’s a little wordy though and might turn people off. While I'm truly hoping people don't bring gifts, I’m just going with the mindset of being thankful for anything they get (and hoping for gift receipts). Just kidding. We’re also about to move in with Rob’s parents, so consumable presents are way more practical.

Since it’s their first birthday, and they aren’t really into a specific theme, it will be a baby pink & baby blue color theme. I’m going for sweet & classy. Thank God for Pinterest! The menu will consist of mainly desserts, in blue and pink of course! I can't wait to post pictures. I'm especially excited for the smash cakes. This picture from Pinterest was my inspiration.

I have so many great friends helping, too! Alicia P. made Reese a tu-tu for the smash cake, Kim Windle made them some super sweet onesies with their name and the number 1, and Devin is working on their cake. My friend Susan rented her neighborhood clubhouse for us (remember, we have no house at that point), and Courtney and Lindsey are going to set up for me. I've got everything else taken care of, but I just need to make time to do a grocery run closer to the date. Happy birthday to me! I mean, them.

What's the best party you've ever been to? What's the best birthday gift you've ever been given?