Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Twin Tuesday

Do you ever feel like you are being judged? I do. I'm sure most of those feelings stem from my own insecurity. People aren't thinking about me and my parenting nearly as much as I think they might be (well, probably not at all in most cases!). I didn't demand feed, we have a babysitter almost once a week, we put our kids in time out, we do spankings, we don't give them juice, we let them cry certain things out, and we go on vacations without them. And while other people's parenting choices aren't the same as mine, I try really hard not to judge. Not agreeing with them and judging them are very different things.

I usually believe that moms are doing their personal best- and that's different for everyone. I used to get so annoyed with moms at Walmart super late at night with a baby or young child. Why aren't they in bed? Why aren't they wearing socks? They are going to be so tired tomorrow, etc, etc. How dare I judge them when it could very well be their best. They might have just gotten off work. They might not have family here to help watch the kids. They might not have money for a sitter. They are clearly there for a reason, and it's not my business.

On Wednesday, my kids will go to the Froyens' house until Sunday. Yes, it is a long time. Yes, it is the longest we've been apart. Yes, I will be so, so sad and probably cry. Yes, I will miss them like crazy. Yes, I will probably want to leave my vacation early, but I won't. So judge away because I've judged myself about it a little as well.

So, why am I going? Obviously, I think it is fine. I think it is healthy for kids to be away from their parents. I think it is healthy to teach them that we leave and come back. I love for them to have different experiences with different people. It gives me time alone. It gives me time with friends. It makes memories for me and Rob. It makes memories for me and my friends. While I won't get a lot of real sleep, it is going to rejuvenate me. (I might not feel that way Sunday after a red-eye flight!) Rob and I think it is valuable to model that our marriage comes first. This is a way to show it once a year. The twins will be so loved while we're gone. I said on yesterday's blog that they will have more fun with Stacy than they normally do with me! She has two boys, a dog, and a great husband! Plus, she spoils them rotten. I'll get photos and we'll Facetime to compensate a little.

Have you felt judged before as a parent? What's something other parents do that bothers you?